Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Twilight vs Red Riding Hood

I have been reading how Red Ridding Hood and The Twilight Saga compare. Huh??? Sure Twilight was directed by Ms. Hardwick as well as Red Ridding Hood, and sure there was one female lead ( in each ) and two male leads ( in each ) that were in love with the girl - but that's where ( IMHO ) the similarities end!

I have to say too, that (IMHO) the script for Red was lacking and the performances reflected it. The script for Twilight, and the rest of the Saga, has been strong and told the story as best as possible for the amount that has to go into making a movie. Sure I would have loved to see more of the book, but there's only so much time that can be allowed.

Twilight was cast with retaliative unknowns - even Kstew wasn't that well known at the time. To be honest, Billy Burke was the only name I recognized, but then I've been watching his career for a while now. Robert Pattinson, who?? Then I looked for him in Harry Potter, and did a search through Net Flicks and watched those. I was disappointed in those. (Please don't stone me!) BUT you put those two young people together and Oh My!!! I had to break out the fan.

The cast for Red Riding Hood are fairly known in quantity. Amanda Seyfried leading it and my favorite dad, Billy Burke. Gary Oldman as the very bad heavy, was very good as usual ( IMHO )

And speaking of Billy Burke, his performance was flat, and he don't do flat! What happened??? We know Ms. Hardwick can direct better than that, and we certainly know BB can do much much much better than that. It had to be the script! Right????

Amanda Seyfried's performance was flat. She's been brilliant in everything else I've seen her in. She's even done a series for HOB with great performances. Had to be bad script.

The only really good thing I can say about Red Riding Hood is the cinematography was glorious!

So, I can't see much that is up for similarities between the two.

No comments:

Post a Comment